Destino Universidad at CSUF Saturday to Help Families Plan for College
Sept. 7, 2012
A grateful grad thanks her family. Photo: Greg Andersen
Cal State Fullerton is hosting Destino Universidad — a bilingual town hall — Saturday, Sept. 8, that is targeted to Latino students and their families who are looking ahead to the path to a college education.
The 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. free event will be held in the university’s Titan Student Union, 800 N. State College Blvd., Fullerton.
CSUF President Mildred García, the first Latina president in the California State University system, will welcome attendees at 8:45 a.m.
The event will feature interactive panel discussions and workshops designed to provide college-planning guidance on admission procedures, financial aid and course planning. Workshops for undocumented students also are planned.
Sessions will be held concurrently in Spanish and English in the Portola Pavilion and Titan Theater inside the Titan Student Union. The event, which is held in conjunction with the College Board, includes a resource fair and campus tours.
Immigration attorney and CNN radio host Rosa Elena Sahagun is the event’s featured speaker. For a 9:30 a.m. Spanish-language session, she will discuss why college is important. Next, she will lead a discussion in Spanish for a 10:15-11 a.m. session on undocumented students. Preparing for college admission is the topic she will address in English during an 11:20 a.m.-12:10 p.m. session.
The day’s roster of speakers and panelists also includes:
- Jose Lopez, CSUF graduate (B.A. business administration-marketing ’01) and parent of a CSUF student. An advertising consultant for El Clasificado newspaper, Lopez will discuss his own college experience as a student and now as a parent.
- Carlos A. Reyes Ruiz, CSUF graduate (B.S. health science ’12) and former undocumented student, will speak of his own experiences.
- Hidy Murray and Maribel Ramos, both veterans and CSUF undergraduates. Murray is a health science major, and Ramos is majoring in criminal justice.
- Dawn Valencia, director of university outreach at CSUF
- Janette L. Hyder, EOP counselor and coordinator of scholarships and the Links Mentoring Program at CSUF
- Adriana Badillo, director of Gear-Up at CSUF
- Ivan Pena, assistant director of Gear-Up at CSUF
- Veronica Hartmann, an outreach counselor with CSUF University Outreach, who will discuss pre-admission to college.