Drezner Among Top Researchers at Toronto Meeting
Nov. 7, 2012
Zvi Drezner, emeritus professor of information systems and decision sciences
Zvi Drezner, a renowned authority on location analysis, was among a select group of academics to make presentations last month at the Academic Conference in Honor of Oded Berman at the University of Toronto, Canada.
"Oded Berman has made significant contributions to the theory and practice of operations management, logistics, stochastic inventory control and location theory," said Bhushan Kapoor, chair and professor of information systems and decision sciences. Berman is the endowed Sydney Cooper chair in business and technology and professor of operations management in the University of Toronto's Rotman School of Management. "Only the very top researchers in the field were invited to give presentations at the conference," he said.
"I was honored to be able to speak before such an august group of my research peers," said Drezner, emeritus professor of information systems and decision sciences who has co-authored more articles with Berman than anyone else. At the conference, they, along with Dmitry Krass of the University of Toronto, presented "The Multiple Gradual Cover Location Problem."
The conference was the latest presentations Drezner has made recently.
The 2006 recipient of Cal State Fullerton's Outstanding Professor Award and a 2008 California State University Wang Family Excellence Award, Drezner delivered four papers at the National INFORMS Conference in Phoenix and co-presented "Generating Good Starting Solutions for the P-Median Problem in the Plane" at the EUROmC-XXVIII-VNS Conference in Belgrade, Serbia.
A member of the campus faculty since 1985, Drezner is a prolific author, including editing two books and authoring more than 260 papers based on his research endeavors in theory, modeling and solution algorithms. Most recently, he has had three co-authored articles published in the Journal of the Operational Research Society:
- "Strategic Competitive Location: Improving Existing and Establishing New Facilities," co-authored with Tammy Drezner, lecturer in information systems and decision sciences, and Pawel J. Kalzynski, professor of ISDS, and published in the March 7 issue; and
- "Stochastic Analysis of Ordered Median Problems" and "Stochastic Analysis of Ordered Median Problems," both co-authored with S. Nikel and H-P Ziegler of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany, and published in the Feb. 22 issue.
Other publications include:
- "Solving Planar Location Problems by Global Optimization," published online in October in Logistics Research
- "Enhancing the Performance of Hybrid Genetic Algorithms by Differential Improvement," co-authored by Alfonsas Misevicius of Kaunas University of Technology and published online Oct. 21 in Computers and Operations Research
- "Voronoi Diagrams With Overlapping Regions" co-authored with Tammy Drezner and published online April 25 in OR Spectrum
- "A New Heuristic for Solving the P-Median Problem in the Plane," co-authored by Jack Brimberg, Royal Military College of Canada, and slated for the January 2013 issue of Computers & Operations Research.
By: Pamela McLaren, 657-278-4852