Cultural Recognition Ceremonies Commence May 5
April 17, 2013
Keynote speakers, from top: Tam T. Nguyen, Jose F. Moreno, Ryka Aoki and Mona Pasquil.
As thousands of students prepare to don their caps and gowns for Cal State Fullerton’s main commencement ceremonies next month, special recognition events are scheduled throughout the month of May, recognizing students who belong to various cultural groups.
The cultural ceremonies are open to all graduating students, regardless of ethnicity or sexual orientation. The schedule:
May 5, Noon
- 25th annual Pan-African recognition ceremony, sponsored by the African American Faculty and Staff Association in the Titan Student Union’s Portola Pavilion. The keynote address will be delivered by Berenecea Y. Johnson Eanes, CSUF vice president for student affairs.
- 11th annual Asian and Pacific Islander recognition ceremony, sponsored by the Asian American and Pacific Islander Faculty and Staff Association at 2 p.m. in the Titan Student Union’s Portola Pavilion. Delivering the keynote address will be Cal State Fullerton alumnus Tam Nguyen ’05 (MBA), president and owner of Advance Beauty College and president of the Vietnamese American Chamber of Commerce of Orange County.
- 25th annual Chicano/Latino and Native American recognition ceremony, sponsored by the Chicano/Latino Faculty and Staff Association at 5:30 p.m. at the Hilton Hotel in Anaheim. The keynote speaker is Jose F. Moreno, a trustee of the Anaheim City School District, president of Los Amigos of Orange County and Chicano and Latino studies chair at Cal State Long Beach.
May 16, 7 p.m.
- 9th annual LGBT Pride recognition ceremony, sponsored by the Multicultural Leadership Center in the Titan Student Union’s Portola Pavilion. Musician, performer and writer Ryka Aoki will deliver the keynote address.
May 17, 6 p.m.
- 14th annual Pilipino American recognition celebration, sponsored by the Multicultural Leadership Center in the Titan Student Union’s Portola Pavilion. The keynoter is Mona Pasquil, Gov. Jerry Brown’s appointments secretary.
For more information about the cultural ceremonies, visit the website: http://www.fullerton.edu/commencement/guests/cultural.asp. For more information about the university’s main commencement ceremonies on May 25 and 26, visit http://www.fullerton.edu/commencement/.
Media Contact: Mimi Ko Cruz, 657-278-7586