McNair Scholars Class of 2013
Ten Complete Program, Off to Internships, Grad School
May 21, 2013
Derrick L. Bines, top, and Harry J. Meussner III have accepted full scholarships to doctoral programs.
Derrick L. Bines has accepted a full scholarship for a Ph.D. program in counseling psychology at the University of Oregon. He is one of 10 who constitute the McNair Scholars Class of 2013 and who are headed to graduate school, internships or other opportunities.
Bines, a resident of Buena Park, completed his bachelor’s degree in sociology and will participate in this year’s commencement ceremonies, along with his nine fellow McNair Scholars.
All 10 scholars, most are first-generation college students, credit the McNair program for encouraging their interest in pursuing an advanced degree and preparing them for graduate school.
“I'm excited to embark on my new journey for my Ph.D.,” said Bines, who will deliver the student keynote address at his commencement ceremony May 25. “I plan to use all the tools I gained as a McNair Scholar at Cal State Fullerton that equipped me to be successful. I'm especially thankful for my McNair mentors, Gerald Bryant and Dr. Ronald Hughes.”
The other McNair Scholars graduating this month, their city of residence, major and where they will be in the fall:
- Jenny C. Chang, Walnut, mathematics, internship at Boeing Corp.
- Amanda Fisk, Fullerton, English, CSUF English master’s program
- Cinthia Padilla, Paramount, physics, CSUF mechanical engineering master’s program
- Geselle Sarmiento, Whittier, kinesiology, Whittier Hospital Medical Center
- Jose Torres, Moreno Valley, philosophy and political science, California Senate Fellows program following a summer internship with the League of United Latin American Citizens
- Danielle Delany, Newport Beach, psychology, CSUF psychology master’s program
- Harry Meussner III, Laguna Niguel, psychology, University of Houston clinical psychology doctoral program with full scholarship
- Lisa Garcia, Whittier, computer science, internship with Northrop Grumman Corp.
- Keith T. Reed, Los Angeles, radio TV-film, starting his own film production company
By: Mimi Ko Cruz, 657-278-7586