CSUF News Service
Exploring Urban Poverty Through a Sociological Perspective
Feb. 27, 2014
Cal State Fullerton explores "Urban Poverty: A Sociological Perspective," through a three-day series of free talks and panel discussions that are open to the public.
March 11 – 13
11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Cal State Fullerton, Titan Student Union's Portola Pavilion
800 N. State College Blvd., Fullerton, 92831
Tuesday, March 11
11:30 a.m. — "Race War? Conflict Between Black and Latino Gangs in Los Angeles" presented by Robert Weide, doctoral candidate at NYU
2:30 p.m. — "Working the Boundaries: Research and Teaching in Impoverished Spaces" panel with Rocio Rosales, chancellor's postdoctoral fellow at UC San Diego, Anthony S. Alvarez, CSUF assistant professor of sociology, and Miguel Zavala, CSUF assistant professor of secondary education
Wednesday, March 12
11:30 a.m. — Graduate program panel discussion with Berna M. Torr, CSUF assistant professor of sociology
2:30 p.m. — Research presentations by sociology graduate students:
- Kristina Brown, "This Isn't an Industry ... It's a Movement: A Qualitative Analyses of the Cannabis Industry in Orange County"
- Mitzi B. Avila, "Aun Hay Machos? Machismo Across Two Generations of Mexican Men"
- Taelor Lewis, "Perceptions of Womanhood Among Black Women"
4 p.m. — Research presentations by sociology graduate students:
- Jessica Spence, "Contact, Compassion and Dialogue: The Orange County Interfaith Network"
- Carly Cretney, "Support for a Female President: Opinions of Conservative and Liberal Women in Politics in the Context of Gendered Media Framing"
- Franklin Perez, "Making Space for Transformative Pedagogies: Assessing Thoughts and Strategies for Student Centered Learning"
Thursday, March 13
11:30 a.m. — "Hustler, Workers and the Downwardly Mobile: 'Cultural' Diversity Among Welfare-Reliant Women" presented by Kerry Woodward, assistant professor of sociology at Cal State Long Beach
2:30 p.m. — "Becoming 'Cop-Wise': How the Urban Poor Negotiate Hyper-Policing in Everyday Life" by Forrest Stuart, assistant professor of sociology, University of Chicago
4 p.m. — "Age, Entrance and the Toll of Street Prostitution" by Sharon Oselin, assistant professor of sociology, Cal State Los Angeles
$2 per hour or $8 for a daily permit. Details are available online.
Cal State Fullerton's Alpha Kappa Delta, international sociology honor society, firstname.lastname@example.org