CSUF News Service
Community Engagement Honored at Awards Program
April 27, 2016
Recognizing the importance of community engagement and its impact on student success, the Center for Internships and Community Engagement will recognize students, faculty and partner organizations today (April 27) at the 12th annual Community Engagement Awards.
The program recognizes leadership, service and partnership for strengthening the bonds of engagement that connect the University and the community.
Top student awards:
- Outstanding Student Leader — Gloria Gallardo of Cypress, senior biological science and health science major
- Extraordinary Acts of Service — Amanda Humber of Carson, senior communicative disorders major
- Most Committed Partner — Girls Inc. of Orange County
- Stellar Support of Students — COPE Health Scholars
Stewards of Place awards, signifying outstanding reciprocal partnerships with off-campus organizations, were presented to the Buena Park School District - TITAN After-School Education and Safety Program and Julián Jefferies, assistant professor of literacy and reading education.
Also being recognized during the annual program will be:
- Nine graduating Titans who have served as AmeriCorps members in the Jumpstart program for two or more years. To signify their achievement, they will be receiving a sash to wear during the May 21-22 Commencement 2016 ceremonies.
- 240 graduating students who have completed academic internships and/or service-learning courses or service beyond the requirements of their majors. These students will be presented a community engagement medal to be worn during this year’s Commencement.
Wrapping up the program will be the presentation of the 16th annual Nonprofit Professionals Award, conferred by the nonprofit alumni association chapter. This year’s recipient is public administration graduate student Claudia Keller of Placentia.
The 4:30 p.m. program will be held in Portola Pavilion of the Titan Student Union. Details about the awards can be found on the Center for Internships and Community Engagement website.