CSUF News Service
CSUF Celebrates Women's History Month
Feb. 25, 2016
Cal State Fullerton recognizes and honors the achievements that women have made throughout history with a wide selection of events for Women's History Month, including a March 23 reception featuring La Habra Councilwoman Rose Espinoza, founder of Rosie's Garage. The reception is hosted by CSUF President Mildred García.
This year's theme is "Women Challenging the Politics of Respectability." Among the scheduled activities are:
- March 4: “Voices of Women of Color” features a dramatic reading of "Why I'm Absolutely an Angry Black Women," dance performances and a discussion of silencing of women’s voices, from 5-8 p.m. in the Titan Student Union Pub. Special guest is art activist Diana Cervera.
- March 5: “Making the Connection: Mentoring, Networking and Sharing Our Experiences” is the theme of the fourth annual Women Veterans in Higher Education Conference. Keynote speaker is Lindsey Sin, deputy secretary, Women Veterans Affairs for California. Event is hosted by the Veterans Resource Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Titan Student Union’s Portola Pavilion.
- March 8: International Women's Day "Past, Present and Future Legacies of Women in Our Lives" features Yomaira Figueroa, assistant professor of English and African American and African studies at Michigan State University. Activities are from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the multipurpose room of student housing.
- March 14: "No Mas Bebes" film screening will be followed by a discussion on reproductive rights, forced sterilization and the experiences of Latina women in Los Angeles in the 1970s. The 5-7 p.m. program in Room 360 of the Pollak Library is sponsored by the History Department and the Center for Oral and Public History.
- March 16: “Women in History: LGBT Community” is held from 5-6 p.m. in University Hall Room 205
- March 17: "Experiences of Body Dissatisfaction and Disorder Eating Among Asian American Women" discussion is based on research conducted by Rebekah Smart, associate professor of counseling, and Yuying Tsong, assistant professor of human services.
- March 23: President's Women's History Month Reception will focus on the "Politics of Respectability" and feature entertainment from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Fullerton Marriott. Guest speaker is Rosie's Garage founder Rose Espinoza, a La Habra councilmember since 2000.
- March 24: “Women and Men’s Dialogue: America Loves Black Culture” will be held from 6-9 p.m. in the Titan Student Union’s Portola Pavilion. Sponsored by Sistertalk.
A complete schedule of events can be found on the WoMen's Center website or by calling 657-278-3928.