CSUF NEWS SERVICE
Talk With Former Sen. Barbara Boxer Launches Humanities Week on Campus
March 14, 2017
A talk and book-signing by former Sen. Barbara Boxer will kick off Humanities and Social Sciences Week Monday, March 20, in the Titan Student Union. Student symposiums and presentations will follow, highlighting the college’s programs and degrees.
The four-day event, themed “Your College, Your Events,” features the college’s 20 clubs and emphasizes its outreach to students, universitywide.
Boxer, who served in the U.S. Senate from California from 1993 to 2017 and in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1983 to 1993, will speak 4:30 to 6:15 p.m. in the Titan Student Union’s Portola Pavilion. The event is free and open to the public.
Her memoir, “The Art of Tough: Fearlessly Facing Politics and Life,” was released last year and focuses on her recollections of service and commitment to fight for women, families, equality and environmental protection.
Boxer’s book introduction reads: “So here’s my book: a no-punches-pulled personal memoir about the personalities and shenanigans of my colleagues on both sides of the aisle. I want to show you that what these folks do (or don’t!) has a direct, powerful impact on your lives.”
The weeklong event features sessions on study abroad opportunities, career workshops and a graduate school expo. Other scheduled events include:
- March 20 — American Studies Student Association’s symposium, 9 a.m.-6 p.m., in the TSU’s Portola Pavilion.
- March 20 — Daniel Reuckert, a lecturer in the TESOL program and former associate director of the International Center for Intercultural Communication, speaks on “Unification in Education” 7-8:30 p.m. in the TSU’s Tuffree Room.
- March 21 — “Salud: A Mental Wellness Workshop,” 3-4 p.m. in the TSU’s Ontiveros Room.
- March 21 — Student Showcase and Research Symposium, 5-8 p.m. in the TSU’s Portola Pavilion.
- March 22 — A screening of “Border Cinema” is set for 4 to 6:30 p.m. in the Chicana and Chicano Resource Center, Room 109 of Titan Shops.
- March 22 — “Therapy With Tacos,” 5-6:45 p.m. in Pollak Library Room 360.
- March 23 — The 47th annual “Spring Symposium: Moral Sentimentalism and its Foundations” 9 a.m.-5 p.m. in the TSU, and 9 a.m.– 5 p.m. Friday, March 24, in the Pollak Library Room 103.
- March 23 — The Criminal Justice Student Association hosts “Coffee With a Cop,” 11 a.m.-2 p.m. on Titan Walk.
HSS Week is sponsored by the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, HSS Inter-Club Council and Associated Students Inc. A full schedule is posted here.