To increase medical literacy among active, older adults, Cal State Fullerton’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) presents three medical series this fall in partnership with the St. Jude Medical Center’s Golden Hearts Group. The free, public programs run from Sept. 14 to Dec. 7 at various locations in Orange County.
Medical Series at the Elks Club
The Wednesday 9-10:30 a.m. classes are held at Fullerton Elks Club Lodge, 1400 Elks View Lane, Fullerton, 92835.
- Sept. 14 — “The Use and Abuse of Narcotic Pain Medications” with Shalini Shah, professor of anesthesiology for UCI School of Medicine
- Sept. 28 — “Anemia and Other Blood Disorders” with David Park, hematologist, oncologist and medical director for St. Jude Cancer Center
- Oct. 12 — “Internet Access to Health Care Information” with Allison Foley, director of information technology for St. Jude Heritage Medical Group
- Oct. 26 — “Cancer of the Ear, Nose and Throat” with William Armstrong, professor of ear, nose and throat surgery for UCI School of Medicine
- Nov. 9 — “Causes and Treatment of Female Pelvic Problems” with Melanie Santos, Orange County obstetrician and gynecological surgeon
- Nov. 30 — “Exercise” with Debbie Rose, CSUF professor of kinesiology
Medical Series at Morningside
The Wednesday 7-9 p.m. classes are held at Morningside Retirement Community, 800 Morningside Dr., Fullerton, 92835.
- Sept. 21 — “Colon Cancer” with Martin Carr, senior gastroenterologist for St. Jude Heritage Medical Group
- Oct. 5 — “Peripheral Vascular Disease” with Jeff Ballard, Orange County vascular surgeon
- Oct. 19 — “Advances in the Treatment of Heart Disease” with Puneet Dhawan, UCLA professor of cardiac surgery and cardiac surgeon for St. Jude Medical Center
- Nov. 2 — “Scary Viral Infections” with Thomas Cesario, UCI professor of microbiology
- Dec. 7 — “Dealing With Grief in our Personal Life” with Justine Petrie, Orange County psychiatrist, and Duncan McCall, pastor of Fullerton Presbyterian Church
Medical Series at the Capriana Retirement Community
The Thursday 9-10 a.m. classes are held at Capriana Oakmont Signature Living Community, 460 S. La Floresta Drive, Brea, 92821.
- Sept. 22 — “Spinal Surgery for the Treatment of Back Pain” with Bradley Noblett, neurosurgeon for St. Jude Medical Center and St. Joseph Medical Center
- Oct. 20 — “Prevention of Cardiac Events” with Dan Landa, Orange County interventional cardiologist