With a vision to serve as a model public university that cultivates leaders who drive innovation and promote collective well-being, Cal State Fullerton unveiled its 2024-29 strategic plan Feb. 7.
Fullerton Forward 2024-29 outlines the university’s priorities, goals and vision for the next five years, providing a strategic framework for CSUF’s future.
“Fullerton Forward is our collective work and commitment to continue to reach higher,” said CSUF President Sylvia Alva. “This takes all Titans as we shift from strategic planning to strategic doing.”
The new strategic plan is guided by six values: student success; faculty and staff success; diversity, equity and inclusion; scholarly and creative activities; shared governance; and civic and community engagement.
To craft the plan, the 52-member Strategic Plan Development Committee listened to the voices and aspirations of the Titan community over the past year. More than 5,600 participants from the Titan community attended multiple forums and contributed their ideas about what we should strive for over the next five years.
“Fullerton Forward reflects a thorough understanding of our university’s legacy and values and provides us with a rich, comprehensive roadmap to achieve our bold vision and goals for the future,” said Alva. “Together, we will move Fullerton forward.”
The goals include:
Goal 1: Enhance Support for Student Access, Learning and Academic Success
Expand access to higher education for traditional and nontraditional learners, enrich learning experiences through diverse and innovative academic offerings, and enhance support services and infrastructure to ensure students’ retention and graduation, as well as their mastery of the knowledge and skills needed to reach professional and personal goals.
- Expand flexible pathways to reach and attract diverse learners to access the university’s academic offerings.
- Provide equitable, engaging and innovative learning experiences to foster students’ ability to apply the knowledge, skills and cultural awareness gained through their academic programs.
- Ensure equitable, innovative and comprehensive academic support to guide students throughout their academic and career pathways.
Goal 2: Foster Student Engagement and Well-Being
Support student engagement and holistic growth in an inclusive campus environment, cultivate a sense of belonging for all students of diverse backgrounds that include undergraduate, graduate, postbaccalaureate, credential and non-degree students, and provide comprehensive resources to support their mental health, physical wellness, and financial and basic needs.
- Enhance student engagement opportunities and experiences to foster “Titan pride.”
- Strengthen proactive, responsive and innovative approaches to improving student mental health and physical wellness.
- Revitalize financial and basic needs support to enhance student success.
Goal 3: Recruit, Develop and Retain High-Quality and Diverse Faculty and Staff
Recruit, develop, and retain diverse faculty and staff by supporting professional and personal growth.
- Increase the number and diversity of faculty and staff through effective and equitable recruitment strategies, with concentrated attention to those from historically underrepresented communities.
- Establish a campus climate that fosters faculty and staff inclusion and belonging, free of discrimination, harassment, retaliation and other conduct of concern.
- Support faculty and staff growth through strengthened professional development.
Goal 4: Expand and Strengthen Physical and Financial Capacity and Community Relations
Augment revenue opportunities and philanthropic investment for the university, and create innovative use of the university’s limited physical spaces to best support student learning and the evolving needs of the broader Titan community.
- Continue campus modernization to build a safe, beautiful and sustainable campus environment.
- Enhance financial capacity, budgetary accountability and philanthropic investment.
- Increase externally funded research and scholarly activities.
- Strengthen the reciprocal relationship amongst the university, alumni and communities.
Goal 5: Innovate and Improve Campus Operations
Improve the effectiveness and efficiency of campus operations through adoption of best practices and cultivation of a culture of innovation.
- Modernize institutional processes to reduce bureaucratic complexity, encourage innovation, and foster collaboration and resource-sharing.
- Deepen a culture of outcome-oriented assessment and data-informed decision making.
- Update technical infrastructure and support to meet the evolving needs of students, faculty and staff.
To read the complete 2024-29 strategic plan, visit the Fullerton Forward website.